15 Important Things I Have Learned by Age 50
Yes, the "Big 5 - 0".
Life sure does fly by when you are having fun (or working too much or caring for farm animals or fill in the blank). But if life flies by and you have not learned much, then that is a travesty.
So, I could not think of a better time than now to note a few of the important things I have learned in these past fifty years.
In no certain order or level of importance, here they are:
1. For every mistake made in life, there is a lesson to be learned. Do not dwell on the mistake, focus on the lesson.
2. Self esteem is not something you are born with, it takes years to develop. So parents, the best thing you can teach your kids is the importance of self worth and confidence at an early age.
3. Do not be in a hurry to grow up. Childhood only lasts a fraction of your lifetime, enjoy it and keep playing as a child would - well into your adult and senior years.
4. Use your finest set of china (nice outfit, new shoes, fill in the blank) that your were saving for that special occasion. Today is that special occasion.
5. Let go of anger, hatred, greed, jealousy, etc. Keeping any of it inside only hurts one person - yourself.
6. Have a pet. Does not matter what kind of pet, just have a pet.
7. Do not try to control others, it never leads to anything good. You are only in control of yourself and your own emotions.
8. Do not allow friends, family or anyone else to treat you badly. The first offense may be free, after that a huge penalty should be given - including removing yourself from the situation.
9. There will be many love partners in your life. The trick is picking the right one that you want to spend the rest of your life with.
10. Always save room for dessert, especially if it has chocolate in it. In fact, sometimes having dessert before a meal is great. Even better, dessert as the meal many times is the perfect thing to have.
11. If you have not been able to fit into those "skinny jeans" for over a year, then toss them out or give them to charity. (Maybe because you saved room for dessert?)
12. Laugh more at yourself and do not take life so seriously.
13. Tell your loved ones that you love them - every day. No one is guaranteed tomorrow.
14. Do not let fear or anxiety talk you out of the things that you really want to do in life. Carpe Diem!
15. Lastly, just be real. Be yourself, warts and all. Because that is what you have to offer the world and no one else can be YOU!
Happy New Year - 2015 !