Monday, November 25, 2013

Day 24 - National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)


It has been almost two weeks since my last blog post on Day 13 of National Novel Writing Month and I bet you are wondering how I am doing in my quest for the elusive goal of writing 50,000 words in 30 days.

Without further ado and a drum roll, please ...  I sprinted to the finish line this past weekend and surpassed the goal with a final word count of  50,812.

This was a rather daunting effort and believe me when I say that I  had a tremendous amount of doubt of whether I would finish the remaining 8,000 words to complete NaNoWriMo 2013.

Despite the hurdles this past week, which included an insane amount of overtime at work and a trip to the Emergency Room for my husband, I was able to write those remaining words this past weekend.  All the while dealing with some other personal issues that I will not go into here.  Suffice it to say, life did get in the way, especially near the finish line.

I have had a day or so to digest what all of this means to me and frankly, it can be summed up in a few bullet points:

  • I set out on this journey to determine if a short story author like me had a full length novel within her.  I have successfully proven to myself that, yes, I do.  And even better than that, I have determined that I have several ideas for novels within me - many of which came to my mind during NaNoWriMo. These ideas have been added to my  list of what to write next.
  • There are some people who hate NaNoWriMo.  At times during the past 25 days, I hated it, too.  But, in the end, I absolutely loved where it brought me as a writer and as a goal oriented person who needed it to move forward in life and in writing.
  •  I have a rough draft of my very first book to show for this effort - to edit over the next few months.  That was the result I was looking for and that is the end result I have.  No more, no less.
  • Thanksgiving has not been cancelled.  I know many of you were very concerned about this.  So relax, I am going to eat, drink and be merry with friends and family on Thursday.


HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL OF YOU ! !





No comments:

Post a Comment